Facebook recently implemented a new “Lists” feature that allows users to organize their feeds by content that they like to see. Generally speaking, a user can create both “Interest Lists” and “Friend Lists.” The Interest List helps users organize their favorite fan pages, while the Friend List allows users to group their favorite Facebook friends together.
In this guide, you’ll learn the types of ways a Facebook Interest List can give you a leg up in the blogging world, as well as how you can get started with creating your own List.
What is an Interest List?
Before we get into the meat and potatoes of this guide, you’ll need to first understand Interest Lists. An Interest List is a feature that allows you to create custom News Feeds. Using a List, you can restrict your News Feed to only display content from pages that are included in the List. For example, if you wanted to make an Interest List about music you like, you could theoretically add all of your favorite artists’ Facebook pages to the List in question. Therefore, when viewing the List’s feed, you would only see updates from the artist pages included in the group. Nifty!
What is the Purpose of Creating a Facebook List?
An Interest List can open many new doors for your blog. Not only can it help advertise your blog, but it can also help you establish yourself as an authority on subjects that are relevant to you. In short, Facebook Lists are a great way to bring together pages that attract your target audience so that you can join the conversation, attract new followers, glean ideas for new posts, and more.
How does this relate to your blog? With this new feature, Lists that you create will include pages that are relevant to your blog’s nature. You will track pages in your List(s) in order to advertise both yourself and your blog. If you operate a gardening blog, you will want to include lots of pages that are relevant to gardening and the outdoors. After creating the List, you will keep your eye on its News Feed for posts that spark discussion. You can insert yourself into discussions and essentially advertise your authority and blog through engaging and valuable comments. Likewise, you can find lots of inspiration about possible blog post topics from your List. Simply look over your List’s News Feed to find posts that are sparking active discussions and make note of the relevant topics. Later on, you can make your own Facebook/blog posts about these topics. Most importantly, always remember to post and comment under your Facebook page’s identity. This will give users somewhere to go once they’ve become interested in your insight.
How to Create a New Facebook Interest List
Here, you’ll find out exactly how to get started with using Interest Lists for your blog. You can get started by doing the following:
- Scroll down the Facebook homepage until the tab “Interests” appears on the left side of the page.
- Click on the word “Interests.”
- You likely won’t notice much of anything on the next page if you haven’t yet created any Interest Lists. You will, however, notice a button at the top of the page titled “+ Add Interests.” Click this button.
- From here, you’ll be shown the interface for locating interests and adding them to your List. You’ll notice that there is a “Suggestions” section that shows you Lists that have already been created by others.
Next, you’ll learn how to create your own List. These are the exact steps to use for doing so:
- Locate the “+ Create List” button.
- A new window will appear that will allow you to quickly create your Interest List. Use the navigation links on the left side of the window to get various suggestions from Facebook about building your List. You can add both pages and friends to your List. Facebook might even suggest pages that you haven’t already liked or seen yet.
- Once you’re ready to add a page to your new List, click its icon and choose the “Next” button. Now, you’ll be given the chance to customize your List.
- Here, you’ll be able to name your List and determine its privacy setting. It can be made available to the public, just your friends, or only you.
- Once you’re satisfied, choose “Done.” You’ll notice that the new List does not appear under the “Interests” tab on the left side of the Facebook homepage. However, if you click “Interests,” you’ll see the List there.
In a moment, we’ll go over how to make your List appear on your left Facebook sidebar on the homepage. You can also add Facebook pages to your List(s) as you like them. Just after liking the page, choose the “Add to Interest Lists” button and organize the page the way you’d like.
How to Favorite Your New Facebook Interest List
Making your new Facebook List more accessible is a cinch. Once again, navigate to the Facebook homepage and look for the “Interests” tab on the left side of the screen. Click it, and wait for the next page to load.
Once you see an overview of all your active Lists, you’ll notice gear icons next to each one. Click the gear icon for the List you wish to favorite, and choose “Add to Favorites.”
That’s all there is to it! You can now begin using Interests Lists to begin attracting more traffic to your Facebook page, and ultimately your blog. Be sure to always post useful, valuable content under your blog’s identity. The goal is to establish yourself as an authority rather than a spammer. Remain active in your Facebook List each and every day to keep increasing exposure for your blog. Remember; the longer you stay active in your Interest List, the more chances you have for attracting new traffic to your blog.